If you have been hurt in a wreck with a commercial truck, you may be wondering, “How much will a truck accident lawsuit cost me?” Truck drivers have to obey the same traffic laws we all do, of course. But they and their employers are also required to follow state and federal rules specific to the industry. If they fail to do so, they may be liable for your injuries.
HOW MUCH WILL A TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWSUIT COST ME?
Perhaps you have been in an accident with an 18-wheeler and are considering hiring a lawyer. But if you have no income due to your injuries, how will you pay? It’s a natural question, and one that keeps many people from seeking the help they need. But you should not have to pay anything up front. Here are a few tips for making sure you don’t.
- Many attorneys offer free initial consultations. When you call for an appointment, confirm that you will not be charged
- Hire a lawyer who works on a contingency basis. This means the attorney will not be paid for their services until you win your case.
- Make sure the lawyer you hire has a lot of experience successfully handling truck accident cases. You need someone with a winning record who understands trucking laws and regulations.
- Don’t be your own lawyer. You may think you are saving yourself attorney’s fees, but you will almost certainly come up short if you try to go it alone.
A truck accident lawsuit should not cost you money. On the contrary, it should ease your financial burden so you can focus on your recovery.
HOW MUCH IS MY TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWSUIT WORTH?
We don’t have to tell you that when an 80,000-pound commercial truck hits a 4,000-pound car, the smaller vehicle — and the people unlucky enough to be inside it — tends to suffer more serious damage. In fact, these accidents are often catastrophic.
Truck drivers and the companies that employ them are required by law to follow industry safety regulations. But they often face time and financial pressures to cut corners, putting everyone on the road at risk. If you have been injured in an accident with a big rig and you believe they are to blame, our lawyers will be happy to review your case. Every accident is different, and how much money you will be able to recover depends on many factors. But we will fight to win you the maximum possible damages for your case. These include:
- Medical expenses
- Future medical expenses
- Loss of income
- Loss of earning capacity
- Pain and suffering (physical, mental, emotional)
- Loss of quality of life
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of consortium
- Property damage or replacement (such as your vehicle and personal belongings that were inside it).
So how much you will be eligible to receive will depend on your previous income, the severity of your injuries, and other elements.
WHAT DO TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYERS COST?
What do truck accident lawyers cost? This is a question we hear often from prospective clients. The answer is your truck accident attorney should cost nothing to you until we win your case. But if you decide to proceed without legal advice, chances are you will leave a lot of money on the table. A lawyer is your advocate, and has the experience, knowledge, and tenacity to stand up to Big Insurance and Big Trucking. Here are a few ways a truck accident lawyer at the Hanna Law Firm will help your claim.
- We will thoroughly investigate the accident, using police reports, expert witnesses, documents, eyewitness testimony, and other resources to gain a full understanding of what happened.
- We will uncover every responsible party — including the driver, the carrier, and/or the manufacturer of a defective part — and make sure each is held accountable.
- We have a thorough understanding of trucking laws and regulations. We will evaluate how they were breached and how they apply to your case.
- We will calculate the full amount of your losses and strive to recover every penny.
- We will negotiate with insurance companies, trucking companies, and other parties on your behalf.
- We will take care of all of the paperwork, communication, and tedious details so you don’t have to.
- We will make sure every deadline is met.
- If we can’t come to an acceptable settlement through negotiation, we will help you take your case to court — and win.
HOW DO TRUCK DRIVERS AND THEIR EMPLOYERS BREAK THE LAW?
Truckers and trucking companies are regulated by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA). The job of this agency is to prevent injury and accidents through safety regulations, technology, and other measures. Unfortunately, many drivers and carriers fail to follow the rules, causing accidents on the road. Here are a few common causes of truck accidents.
- Drivers who break industry hours-of-operation rules. Truckers are required by law to take breaks and not drive over a certain number of hours in a stretch. If they do, they risk drowsiness, slow response times, and even falling asleep at the wheel.
- Carriers who try to save money by not conducting regular maintenance. Trucks drive long distances and carry heavy loads. This causes an enormous amount of wear and tear on the vehicle.
- Weight and cargo violations. Vehicles on interstates must weigh less than 80,000 pounds. The government has very specific regulations on how types of cargo must be tied down. Poorly secured loads may fly off, endangering other vehicles on the road.
CALL THE TRUCK ACCIDENT LAWYERS AT THE HANNA LAW FIRM
Don’t ask “How much will a truck accident lawsuit cost me?” Instead ask “How will a truck accident lawsuit help me?” If you’ve been injured and a truck driver or carrier is to blame, a lawsuit is not designed to cost you. It is designed to help you win the money you need to pay your bills and move on with your life. At the Hanna Law Firm, our lawyers are committed to fighting for our clients. And we have a winning record to show for it. Call us at 432-220-2649 to schedule a free consultation. Remember: We don’t get paid until you do.