Abilene Catastrophic injury Attorneys
Filing a Catastrophic Injury Lawsuit
When an injury is particularly life-changing, it is considered “catastrophic.” These types of injuries typically result in extensive physical, mental, emotional, and financial consequences, from exorbitant medical bills to immense pain and suffering.
At Hanna Allen, PLLC, we understand just how devastating catastrophic injuries are, both for victims and their families. We also know how important it is that you recover a fair settlement (or, if necessary, jury verdict) from the liable party. While no amount of financial compensation can undo your injury or its effects on your life, a just recovery can provide the critical resources you need to heal and move forward with your life.
If you or your loved one was severely injured as a result of someone else’s negligent or wrongful conduct, call Hanna Allen, PLLC at (325) 440-9996right away for a free consultation.
What Makes an Injury “Catastrophic?”
Although there isn’t a set definition of a catastrophic injury, most severe, life-altering injuries are categorized as “catastrophic.” Generally speaking, if an injury leads to permanent and/or significant disability, impairment, or limitation of a bodily member, organ, or function, it is considered catastrophic.
Some examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Amputation/Loss of Limb: The complete removal of a limb or a significant part of it.
- Back Injuries: Severe injuries to the spinal cord, vertebral column, or other structures in the back, leading to functional impairment.
- Birth Injuries: Injuries sustained by an infant during childbirth, which can have long-lasting effects on their health.
- Brain Injuries: Damage to the brain, often resulting from trauma, accidents, or medical conditions, leading to cognitive and physical impairments.
- Burns: Severe burns that cause significant damage to the skin and underlying tissues, potentially requiring extensive medical intervention.
- Chronic Illness: Long-term, debilitating health conditions that severely impact an individual's quality of life.
- Disfigurement: Permanent alteration of physical appearance, often due to trauma or serious accidents.
- Eye Injuries: Severe damage to the eyes, leading to partial or complete vision loss.
- Face Injuries: Trauma to the face, including fractures and disfigurement, which may have lasting effects on facial function and appearance.
- Hearing Damage/Loss: Significant impairment or complete loss of hearing, often caused by exposure to loud noises, accidents, or medical conditions.
- Spinal Cord Injuries, Including Paralysis: Injuries to the spinal cord that result in paralysis or loss of function in certain parts of the body.
- Vision Loss: Partial or complete loss of vision, which can result from various factors, including accidents or medical conditions.
These types of injuries nearly always require immediate medical attention, as well as ongoing treatment. In some cases, catastrophic injury victims may even need lifelong care. They may be unable to return to work or obtain any form of gainful employment for weeks, months, or even for the rest of their lives.
Our Abilene catastrophic injury attorneys understand the challenges you and your family are facing, and we are here to help. If you or your loved one suffered a catastrophic injury, and you believe someone else is to blame, reach out to Hanna Allen, PLLC as soon as possible to learn how we can help you build your case and fight for the fair financial compensation you are owed.
Common Causes of Catastrophic Injuries
While any serious accident or traumatic event can lead to catastrophic injuries, certain incidents are more likely to result in devastating, life-changing injuries than others.
Some of the most common causes of catastrophic injuries include:
- Car, truck, motorcycle, and other vehicle accidents
- Falls, including slip and falls and falls from heights
- Unsafe property conditions and hazards
- Workplace accidents and occupational diseases
- Construction and oilfield accidents
- Nursing home abuse and negligence
- Medical malpractice
- Defective and/or unsafe products
- Sports- and recreation-related accidents
- Assault, battery, and other forms of violence/criminal conduct
When another person, a company, or some other entity is legally responsible for an accident or event that causes catastrophic injury, that party can be held responsible for the victim’s damages. Identifying the cause of a catastrophic injury is, therefore, important, as it allows our attorneys to determine who is liable for your economic and non-economic losses.
Are Catastrophic Injury Cases Different Than Personal Injury Claims?
Although catastrophic injuries fall under the umbrella of personal injury law, there are several important differences between the two. Generally speaking, the severity of catastrophic injuries compared to other, less-serious injuries makes these cases far more complex.
Catastrophic injury cases are different than standard personal injury claims in the following ways:
- Catastrophic injuries are often more medically complex and challenging to treat than other types of injuries
- The cost of treating catastrophic injuries, including potential lifelong care, typically far exceeds the costs associated with treating other injuries
- Catastrophic injury victims often sustain far greater damages, such as higher medical bills and greater lost wages, than victims of less-serious injuries
- Catastrophic injury cases require a careful and thorough review of likely future damages, including future medical care costs and lost income
- The overall value of catastrophic injury claims tends to be higher than that of standard personal injury cases involving less-severe injuries
- Insurance companies are more likely to dispute or deny catastrophic injury claims due to their high value and the complexities involved in proving liability
For all of these reasons, it is important that you work with an attorney who has specific experience handling catastrophic injury cases. You need someone who understands the nuances of your claim, as well as the full extent of your injuries and damages.
At Hanna Allen, PLLC, we conduct exhaustive investigations to determine exactly how our clients’ injuries occurred and, most importantly, who is liable. We also work with medical professionals who provide expert witness testimony regarding the severity, nature, and impact of our clients’ injuries. We understand that our clients are navigating particularly vulnerable and confusing times in their lives, and we treat everyone with the empathy and honesty they deserve.
Reach Out to Our Catastrophic Injury Lawyers Today
At Hanna Allen, PLLC, our team possess a tenacious work ethic, and we employ a compassionate, caring approach to helping our clients navigate the legal system. Our Abilene catastrophic injury attorneys and support team have over 150 years of combined experience, including a background in insurance defense. We understand what you are up against, and we have what it takes to effectively advocate for you.
Throughout our years in practice, we have successfully fought for thousands of people injured in serious motor vehicle accidents, at the hands of trusted medical providers and nursing home staff, and as a result of all types of negligent and wrongful conduct. You can count on us to provide the personal attention and support you need during this incredibly difficult time.
Here are the advantages of choosing our firm:
- We have extensive experience: At Hanna Allen, PLLC, we specialize in catastrophic injury cases. Our seasoned attorneys have a deep understanding of the legal complexities involved in such claims. Our legal team is well-versed in the intricacies of personal injury law, ensuring that we can navigate the complexities of your case effectively.
- Thorough case evaluation: We conduct a comprehensive assessment of your case, considering all relevant factors to build a strong strategy tailored to your specific situation.
- Customized legal approach: Our team develops a personalized legal approach to maximize the chances of a successful outcome for your catastrophic injury claim.
- We have the necessary resources: Hanna Allen, PLLC is equipped with the resources required to handle complex catastrophic injury cases. This includes access to expert witnesses, medical professionals, and investigative resources.
- Effective negotiation: Our skilled negotiators work on your behalf to secure a fair settlement. We have the expertise to engage in negotiations with insurance companies and other parties involved in the case.
- We are ready for litigation: If a fair settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, our firm is prepared to take your case to court. We provide aggressive representation to protect your rights and pursue the compensation you deserve.
- Comprehensive damages assessment: We diligently assess the full extent of your damages, including medical expenses, lost wages, future care costs, and pain and suffering. Our goal is to maximize the compensation you receive.
- Compassionate advocacy: Dealing with a catastrophic injury is emotionally challenging. Our team at Hanna Allen, PLLC provides compassionate support throughout the legal process, ensuring that you feel understood and supported.
- No upfront costs: Our firm operates on a contingency fee basis, meaning you only pay legal fees if we successfully secure compensation for your case. This allows you to focus on your recovery without worrying about immediate financial burdens.
They assisted my loved one during an unbelievably difficult time, helped provide peace of mind while easing some of the stress.S.
Highly recommend this law firm! We felt like they really cared and we were part of their family. Jeffery did a thorough job of explaining in terms we could understand.Cie K.
Mr. Hanna worked long hours, spent countless days preparing for settlements and trials. His compassion for the law and his clients is far better than anything I could have expected or wanted.Justin D.
Great people! They go above and beyond and have helped my family and I more times than I can count. Highly recommended!Laura M.
Took really good care of us in a professional manner. I’m very pleased with the results and would recommend to anyone.Heaven R.
I had always heard great things about Hanna Allen, and after Meeting Mr. Hanna I too was very pleased with the way he showed me respect and compassion.Shawn F.