Odessa Birth Injury Attorneys
Birth Injuries in Texas
The birth of a child should be one of the happiest days in a parent’s life. Unfortunately, preventable medical errors and acts of negligence can quickly make a joyous occasion horrific. When obstetricians, midwives, doctors, nurses, hospitals, and other trusted healthcare providers fail to uphold the standard of acceptable care, innocent babies and pregnant mothers can pay the price.
If you, your child, or the mother of your child suffered a devastating birth injury, you could have grounds for a birth injury lawsuit. At Hanna Allen, PLLC, we represent children, parents, and families throughout West Texas, providing compassionate and personalized counsel throughout the legal process. Our attorneys bring more than 150 years of combined experience, as well as a proven track record of success, to their legal practice. We have what it takes to effectively advocate for the justice you and your family deserve.
Understanding Birth Injuries
Birth injuries are a type of birth trauma that can occur before, during, or immediately after a child is born. Although they are often confused with birth defects, which typically result from genetic and/or environmental factors, birth injuries are different in that they are almost always preventable.
Birth injuries are physical injuries sustained by infants and mothers as a result of preventable factors occurring during pregnancy and childbirth. They can be relatively minor or extremely severe, resulting in permanent injury, significant disability, or even a lifetime of physical and/or cognitive impairment.
Some examples of common birth injuries include:
- Broken bones, including clavicle (collarbone) fractures
- Partial or total oxygen deprivation (hypoxia, anoxia, etc.)
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy (HIE), a type of oxygen deprivation
- Cerebral palsy, often as a result of oxygen deprivation
- Nerve damage, including brachial plexus injuries
- Erb’s palsy, shoulder dystocia, and related conditions
- Facial injuries, including facial paralysis caused by nerve damage
- Head and brain injuries, including cephalohematoma and brain damage
- Spinal cord injuries, including those resulting in paralysis
- Jaundice, kernicterus, and related conditions
Birth injuries can also occur to pregnant mothers before or during birth. Examples include bone fractures, hemorrhaging, pelvic organ prolapse, and uterine rupture.
Who Is Liable for a Birth Injury?
When you or your child has suffered a devastating birth injury, you need answers. At Hanna Allen, PLLC, we believe that you also deserve justice. Our Odessa birth injury lawyers are here to help you hold the liable party accountable for the immense pain and suffering you and your family have experienced as a result of their negligent or wrongful conduct.
To determine who is liable for a birth injury, our attorneys first investigate how the incident occurred. Determining the cause of a birth injury typically allows us to identify the at-fault party.
Some of the most common causes of birth injuries include:
- Misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose maternal conditions, such as preeclampsia
- Delayed treatment of or failure to treat maternal infections or conditions
- Misinterpretation or misanalysis of ultrasounds
- Improper administration or prescribing of medications to pregnant women
- Medication mistakes involving spinal epidurals and labor-inducing drugs
- Miscommunication between medical providers and/or departments
- Inexperience or overconfidence by medical professionals
- Failure to recognize birth complications, such as breech presentation
- Improper monitoring or failure to monitor signs of fetal distress
- Improper monitoring of mothers’ vital signs during labor or delivery
- Failure to order a timely cesarean section (C-section) when necessary
- Misuse of medical equipment, such as forceps or vacuum extractors
- Mismanagement of birth complications, such as prolonged labor, abnormal bleeding, etc.
- Poor aftercare and/or follow-up care for infants and mothers
If you believe that a medical provider’s negligent or improper care was the cause of your child’s injuries or medical condition, reach out to our team right away. At Hanna Allen, PLLC, we stand up for families who have been irrevocably harmed by preventable medical mistakes and wrongful acts. Our attorneys are prepared to help you navigate every stage of the legal process and seek the maximum settlement you are owed. If necessary, we are even prepared to represent you at trial.
Fighting for Your Family
When your child has suffered a serious injury or has been diagnosed with a life-changing medical condition, your primary goal is making sure they get the best possible medical care. At Hanna Allen, PLLC, we fight to help children live healthy, happy, and meaningful lives by seeking fair compensation on their behalf. By holding the negligent party accountable, you can secure the monetary resources you need to ensure your child receives the highest-quality medical treatment available.
When you turn to Hanna Allen, PLLC, you will be connected with a team of legal professionals who truly care about you, your child, and your family. We take the time to get to know each of our clients, learning about the challenges they have faced and the difficulties that still lay ahead. During a free, no-obligation consultation, you will have the opportunity to share what happened, ask questions, and let us know your concerns and goals from the legal process. Our attorneys will provide the answers and information you need to make empowered decisions about your case and the future of your family.
Let us handle the details of your case so that you can focus on healing. Get in touch with Hanna Allen, PLLC today to schedule a free initial consultation. There are no attorney fees for you unless/until we recover a settlement or verdict on your behalf.